Blogs > Out of Left Field

A sometimes-irreverent look at Detroit's Boys of Summer, the Tigers, as they try to return to the top of the American League Central.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tigers tab HS right-hander with top pick in 2012 draft

With no first-round pick in the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft (Prince Fielder signing), the Tigers had to wait until Day 2 of the draft, getting their first pick at No. 91 overall, late in the second round.

They tabbed a big (6-foot-4, 235-pound), right-handed high school pitcher, Jake Thompson of Rockwall-Heath High School in Texas.

On Twitter, Thompson (@jthomp15) posted: "No better feeling in the world. #tigernation"
And: "Absolute honor to be the first pick of the Detroit tigers."

So who is he?

From MLB.com:
"This Texas high schooler is definitely an imposing force. Thompson has a fastball that sits in the low 90s with good movement. His slider also has good bite to it and could end up being his best pitch. His changeup needs work, but that is not uncommon for prep pitchers. Thompson is also a first baseman for his high school and has some good power, but he is better on the mound and will play there in college or in the pros. Thompson is committed to TCU but seems very signable. This could allow him to shoot up Draft boards."



Here's his scouting video from MLB.com:



Will he be signable? Seems to be, per this clip from a Scout.com story:
"I want to make a smart decision. I think everybody wants to play professional baseball and I do for sure. It just depends at what point I go and play. I want to make a smart decision, not sign if I fly down the draft just because I want to go play. I just want to make sure that the decision makes sense and if there is the right opportunity there I have no problem doing it. I just want to make sure it’s smart."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home