Detroit Tigers offseason activity tracker
It's easy to have a transaction or two fly under your radar, elude your notice during what is usually a busy offseason.
This file will contain a list of all the moves — minor and major — that the Detroit Tigers make in the 2012-13 offseason. Bookmark it, and return often to see if anything's changed. Click on the red highlighted text for a link to more on that move.
Team president, CEO and general manager Dave Dombrowski laid out the framework for what was likely to happen this offseason in his after-season news conference on Oct. 30.
Here are the moves so far:
• Brought back manager Jim Leyland and his staff.
• Reinstated Ryan Raburn from the 15-day disabled list, Victor Martinez and Daniel Schlereth from the 60-day disabled list.
• Exercised the $6 million option on the contract of shortstop Jhonny Peralta.
• Exercised the $3.5 million option on the contract of reliever Octavio Dotel.
• Removed utility man Don Kelly from the roster. He cleared waivers, and was outrighted to Triple-A Toledo, but elected free agency instead.
• Hitting coach Lloyd McClendon interviews for the Miami Marlins' vacant managerial position. [UPDATE: The Marlins hired Mike Redmond instead.]
• Former player, coach and minor league manager Bruce Fields returns to the Tigers system as minor league hitting coordinator.
• Outgoing free agent Delmon Young sentenced for April incident in New York.
• Sign former Blue Jays RHP Shawn Hill to a minor league contract as organizational depth.
• Sign outfielder Torii Hunter to a reported two-year, $26 million deal.
• Back-up catcher Gerald Laird signs a two-year deal with the Braves, leaving the Tigers without an established second-line catcher.
• Ryan Raburn released, clearing room on 40-man roster for guys like Bruce Rondon.
• Sign 19 players to minor-league contracts.
• Tigers tender contract to seven arbitration-eligible players — Alex Avila, Brennan Boesch, Phil Coke, Doug Fister, Austin Jackson, Rick Porcello and Max Scherzer.
• Tigers non-tender LHP Daniel Schlereth, who was not yet arbitration eligible.
• Shuffle coaching staff duties, making Gene Lamont bench coach and putting Tom Brookens at third.
• Trade LHP Andy Oliver to the Pirates for minor-league catcher Ramon Cabrera.
• Acquire 2B/UT Jeff Kobernus, LHP Kyle Lobstein in Rule 5 draft swaps.
• Sign switch-hitting FA catcher Brayan Pena to back up Alex Avila.
• Don Kelly among 17 non-roster invitees to spring training
• Avoid arbitration with six of seven eligible players
• Avoid arbitration with Max Scherzer, signing him to a one-year, $6.725M deal
• Come to terms on 2013 contracts with seven pre-arbitration-eligible players, including Bruce Rondon