Blogs > Out of Left Field

A sometimes-irreverent look at Detroit's Boys of Summer, the Tigers, as they try to return to the top of the American League Central.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Brother Rice grad Andrew Sohn first local player taken in 2014 MLB Draft

Western Michigan University shortstop Andrew Sohn, a Birmingham Brother Rice graduate, was selected by
the St. Louis Cardinals in the sixth round of the 2014 MLB Draft.

(Photo courtesy of WMUBroncos.com)

Bloomfield Hills native and Brother Rice graduate Andrew Sohn was the only local player selected on the MLB Draft’s first two days.

Sohn was undrafted out of high school, but picked in the sixth round by the St. Louis Cardinals after leading WMU in hitting (.323) as a junior. He was the highest pick for a Western Michigan player since 2008.

“I am excited and can’t wait to get started with the best organization in the Major Leagues,” Sohn said in a release on the Broncos web site. “I want to thank all of my coaches and teammates along the way, as well as my family. It was an amazing experience playing at Western Michigan University and under Coach Gernon. I really matured and grew during the time I was there, and want to thank the coaches again for all the time they put in to make us better. Also, I couldn’t have asked for a better group of guys than my teammates to share my college career with.”

Sohn was first-team All-Mid-American Conference as a sophomore and, after being a preseason selection for MAC Player of the Year by Baseball America, was a second-team All-MAC honoree.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home