Several Tigers farmhands up for MiLBY awards
Although their seasons are long over, a few minor leaguers in the Detroit Tigers system still have a shot to collect some hardware.
A few farmhands — guys like the franchise’s Minor League Player of the Year, Steven Moya, or fellow September call-up Tyler Collins (pictured) — are candidates for awards in the 2014 MiLBYs, yearly minor league awards, voted on by the fans.
To vote, you can go here. Voting ends Thursday, and winners will be announced over the following weeks.
Categories in which Tigers players/teams are candidates:
• Breakout Prospect: Moya, Double-A Erie; Kevin Ziomek, LHP, Class A West Michigan (Jumped 14 spots in organizational rankings after leading the Midwest League in ERA at 2.27 and striking out 152)
• Best Farm System: Yes, the Tigers are one of 10 candidates in this category, boosted in large part by starting pitching depth, particularly the Whitecaps rotation.
• Photo of the Year: A diving catch by first-round pick Derek Hill for the Connecticut Tigers, a moment between Erie catcher Craig Albernaz and a young fan, and a pic of the Whitecaps meeting a monkey are all candidates in this category.
• Top Play: Toledo second baseman Brandon Douglas and shortstop Hernan Perez combine for a groundout.
• Top Home Run: Collins launches one onto the roof of the Fricker’s building beyond the right-field wall at Toledo’s Fifth Third Ballpark; Mud Hens veteran Mike Hessman joins the Minor League 400-homer club, becoming its eighth member.