Blogs > Out of Left Field

A sometimes-irreverent look at Detroit's Boys of Summer, the Tigers, as they try to return to the top of the American League Central.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The 90-second no-comment: Run-on disavowal of knowledge of anything


When any controversy is brought to light, like the current Biogenesis upheaval that's hitting Major League Baseball, it's every reporter's obligation to try to get people in the game to speak on the record about it.

And it's every baseball person's mission to attempt to sidestep every chance to draw them into a conversation about the issue.

It's just the game we play. Move. Countermove.

"We have a tough job," a reporter said to Jhonny Peralta, before launching into the questions Tuesday night.

"I know," Peralta answered, before responding to the questions with a "No comment."

Check and checkmate.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland was asked about his opinion on the matter in Tuesday's postgame news comment. He issued a no-comment.

Leyland was asked again in Wednesday's pregame media session, and again said "No comment."

And again.

And again.

And again.

Minus one sentence where he talks about a story he read in USA Today, here's Leyland's (overly) full answer:

"I don’t think I’m going to comment on any of that, because I don’t really know anything about it. I think it’s better off for me just to keep my mouth shut. I just read what people are writing. You know what? I truthfully don’t know anything about that.

"To be honest with you, I probably shouldn’t feel this way, but I don’t pay any attention to any of that stuff. I don’t have any comment on it, and I’m not going to have any comment on it, because that’s in the hands of people way above Jim Leyland. I just don’t have any idea. I don’t get any information, if that’s what you think. If I did, I wouldn’t give it to you. To be honest. I would not. But to be honest, I don’t get any information on stuff like that. Nothing. I get nothing." 
Follow-up question: "Did you think we were past all that?"

"I don’t have any comment on that.

"I’m usually not afraid to speak my mind, but I want to know what I’m talking about, if I do, and I truthfully know nothing about that stuff."

Yup. One minute, 30 seconds worth of no-comment.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home