Blogs > Out of Left Field

A sometimes-irreverent look at Detroit's Boys of Summer, the Tigers, as they try to return to the top of the American League Central.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

It's not a dream — Tigers pick up on Ausmus T-shirt meme


There have been any number of Brad Ausmus memes since he took over as the manager of the Tigers, but not many have made their way into the team's clubhouse.

Now one has.

Every locker had a T-shirt in it by Wednesday afternoon, and all of them had Brad Ausmus' face on them, along with the word "Dreamy," spelled with an Olde English D.

 The T-shirts, made by Big Water Apparel, were apparently ordered by hitting coach Wally Joyner. [UPDATE: Joyner said he didn't order the shirts. "I wish I had. That would've been a good one for Brad."] [UPDATE II: Another potential culprit, Joba Chamberlain, the man behind the Zubaz suits, has been ruled out.]

"I don’t really have one," Ausmus said with a sheepish grin, when asked if he had a reaction. "Well, Alex (Avila) walked in with it on, to show me, like he had a question to ask. I haven’t walked through the clubhouse, to see if they’re all wearing them."

He won't ask for one, necessarily. But he won't avoid them, either.

"If it starts a winning streak, I’ll wear one," he joked.

There are any number of products with various Ausmus memes, including tote bags with Ausmus' face, and a "Hey Girl" quote.

"I know there’s a tote bag," Ausmus grudgingly admitted. "I’ve signed them, but I don’t know if there’s a relation."

UPDATE III: Process of elimination has settled on Alex Avila as the probable culprit. "I think it was Alex. That’s my guess," Ausmus said, admitting the catcher, currently on the disabled list, has the most time on his hands. "He boldly walked into the room the other day, wearing it in front of me. I assume that was his way of bragging."
Ausmus did say his wife, Liz, found out about the shirts on the internet.
"Somebody must’ve tweeted it, because she said ‘Who bought the T-shirts?’ She asked me last night," he said. "No, she doesn’t want one. Instead of 'Dreamy,' hers would say ‘Nightmare.’"








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home